We’ll share our project ideas and have our first Photoshop lab.
- Recap : what did we talk about Tuesday?
- Lab time!
- About that Lynda.com email …
- Monday night’s inspirational links are all in one post.
- A note about Gravatars (social)
- Note re Forum request to critique more web sites
- Tonight we’re doing our initial elevator pitch.
- To have been posted on Moodle by 5:30 (there are only 16 posted)
- I will group y’all into logical (at least in my mind) “work teams” after this exercise.
- Final precis to include refined elevator pitch (should include site goal/audience); three personas; competitive analysis; wireframes (rough sketch / gray); color ideas; social integration. We will work on each of these concepts in class and there will be an online (Moodle Forum) assignment. At some point, I will ask you to provide feedback on N number of student ideas.
- These can be as detailed as you like. However, they need to be more than one-liners. 🙂 Can be presented as a WordDoc, as a PPT, as a video, etc. Your choice of deliverable format.
Lab : intro to Photoshop CC
- Another word about mobile
- Finding CC Licensed images on Flickr
- How CC is different (watch Adobe explanation)
- The workspace and images (images here – pswd protected)
- Screen capture software (recommended: Skitch)
How CC is different
- Details from psd tuts+ – for us, (1) shaky/out-of-focus tuning, (6) smart sharpen, (7) shapes
- Details from udemy
The workspace and images
- Images for the lab (pswd protected)
- Adobe CC tutorials : the PS Interface (3:13)
- Screen resolutions
- Tool: Resize My Browser
Watch @ Lynda.com (Kathy has to log-in – you can access if you take the 1 month subscription)
- Resolution v Pixel Dimension (3:09)
- Understanding web color (4:06)
- Image size & rez (6:34 )
- Image resizing: Resize image (4:15 – public) & Image size command (6:09 – login)
- Non-destructive crop tool (4:35 – probably next time)
Assignments for next Thursday
- Before you leave this evening: post to this Moodle Forum how you might use Photoshop with your web projects and any ah-ha’s about image manipulation.
- Before 8:00 am on Wednesday, post to this Moodle Forum at least three (but no more than five) websites that may form the basis of your competitive analysis — that is, three-five sites that are in the same field/genre/type as what you are planning. (Note: you can change your focus, but your PS class will require basic wireframes from which to build full color ones. Easier to not change horses in mid-stream.) Include a screen capture of the home page or an interior page that illustrates a point you are making about the site. This can be “I’d like to do this” or “I don’t want to do that” or a combo.
- In preparation for our discussion about social media, please share your public personas in this Moodle thread. Also due before 8:00 am on Wednesday.
- Finally, before 5:30 pm on Thursday, post a before-and-after set of images to this Moodle thread. Demonstrate that you understand how to take a “large” image and make a medium-sized (~300px wide or tall – largest dimension) image. This can be an photo you’ve taken or something from Flickr (creative commons-licensed!).