Who are we? And what are we going to do the next few weeks?
- How the online class works
- Syllabus review
- Intro to web design
- Group exercise
HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING ADOBE CONNECT TO START THE MEETING
How the online class works
- Moodle/Adobe (and, tonight, G+ perhaps)
- Mailing list
- Readings/video – time together for group and individual project work, questions
- Attendance requirements
- To make things go smoothly on your end … have three browser windows or tabs open: one to this blog, one for Adobe, one for Moodle
- First, complete your Moodle account profile.
It will help to add a photo of yourself (not your dog!). If you don’t have a photo of yourself handy tonight, that’s OK, but please upload one before next Thursday.
- Second, we have an ice-breaker in Forum 1 on Moodle! I’ve broken you into two groups, based on whether your first name is numbered “even” or “odd” on this page.
- Third, we’ll talk about your goals for the class, using AdobeConnect chat.
- Also, walk through WordPress site
- Intro to web design (mini-lecture – pdf)
In 2s — start a new discussion in Lesson 1 Forum :
- Thinking back to your last online shopping experience — what stands out (good or bad)? What were you doing when this happened? What site were you on? What device were you using? What are your take-aways from the experience – in other words, if you were being tasked with building a commerce site, what might you extrapolate regarding design based on your experience?
One of my goals for the course is to help you learn to keep your designer sense “always on.” One way we do this is by consciously deconstructing/analyzing our own experiences.
- Skills survey (please complete by 8 am Friday)
- Are you ready for learning online? (please complete by 8 am on Friday) – Alternate link
Reading for Week 2, due Thursday
All readings are together on one page. Please complete readings for each week before coming to class on Thursday. The reading load is front-end weighted so that you have time in the second half of the quarter to focus on your project.