We’ll start refining our projects, think about competitors, discuss the reading. And begin thinking about Photoshop.
- I’m going to divide the class into pairs (using the automagic tool). We’ll take 20 minutes for each pair to discuss their pitch/project ideas. Partners: ask probing questions, such as “Tell me more about <that>” or “Why that approach”. Notice that these are open-ended questions, not questions that can be answered with a yes or a no. An appropriate one-word answer question: “What is one word that captures your idea?”
- Then each person should take 10 minutes and revisit their forum post. Refine.
- Assignment due by Monday, 8 am: read six other pitches and offer suggestions or provide compliments (evidence based!).
- How does the Internet work (also a review of terms)
- We’ll begin the process of analyzing our competitors.
- Things to consider: who is the audience (personas) / what are they trying to do (tasks/scenarios) / aesthetics (“design”)
Introduction to Photoshop
- Kathy will demonstrate the interface and point out key tools we’ll become familiar with this quarter. If you haven’t already started your subscription to Adobe, please do so before next week’s class.
How CC is different
- Photoshop CC overview (YouTube)
- Details from psd tuts+ – for us, (1) shaky/out-of-focus tuning, (6) smart sharpen, (7) shapes
- Details from udemy
Review for next week’s quiz
- Again, in pairs; again, I’ll use the automagic division option, so hopefully you’ll be paired with someone new.
- Create 2-3 sentences using at least four glossary words per sentence. The “sub-words” are also eligible. They can be funny but they do need to make sense. Have fun!
- Post your sentences to the forum.
- Read one another’s contributions! Make suggestions – give kudos.
- Awards for sentences with the most glossary words!
Assignments for next week
In addition to the reading, we’re working each week on the final projects.
- Assignment due by Monday, 8 am: read six other pitches and offer suggestions or provide compliments (evidence based!). NOTE: for this to work, everyone needs to have a pitch. There are only 13.
- Next week’s reading/video
- Revised pitch by 6 pm Wednesday
- Initial thoughts on competitor sites by 6 pm Wednesday